Wednesday, October 15, 2008

8th Annual Pacific Region Investment Conference

The 8th Annual Pacific Region Investment Conference of the Asia Pacific Association for Fiduciary Studies was held on October 9-10 at the Renaissance New World Hotel in Makati City, Philippines.
It was an affair worth the just P2,500 (about U$50) registration fee that local participants were asked to pay. I thought it was so cheap -- think about all the knowledge I can learn* and apply in managing my wealth. Yay!

Relevant Topics
It was a very informative 2-day affair. The more interesting topics were:
*Power Plays: Opportunities in Alternative Energy
*Personal Equity and Retirement Account Act (PERA)
*Will Global Economic and Financial Connectivity Lead to a Global Slump
*How to Find Opportunities Distressed Asian Stock Markets
What I liked most was Power Plays and Global Economic.
Power Plays
made alternative energy such as wind and solar more interesting. I did some work with a government owned corporation which is involved in the development and promotion of alternative energy in the Philippines. They have a photovoltaic cell project. Power Plays' conclusion is that the solar energy technologies are still developing. hence, the company who will develop the more efficient PV cell will own the market.
Global Economic on the other hand was an analysis of the roots and causes of the ongoing financial crisis the world has never seen and experienced. The speaker, who is a genius in my opinion, communicated with the audience so well I wouldn't mind hearing him speak again.

International Speakers
The most noted speaker was Marc Faber, Ph.D. I am not the most qualified person to describe him so I am just quote what the Conference's brochure wrote:
Dr. Marc Faber studied Economics at the University of Zurich and, at the age of 24, obtained a PhD in Economics, magna cum laude
Ok, so need I say more?

Interesting Participants
I also met a lot of people. I even met 2 or 3 who came from a country I have never heard of. I was assured though that it is a beautiful country, as beautiful as ours.

Fun Activities
The post lecture activities are fun, too! There was a cocktail party where everyone mingled - participants with speakers, speakers with participants, participants with fellows.

I am planning to attend next year's conference. I am sure it will be as interesting as this year. By the way, last year was held in Guam.

*Please refer to my post Learn Something New




No comments:

Holistic Junction

Business Schools; Holistic Junction is your source for Holistic Practitioners; Acupuncture, Chiropractic, Massage Therapy, Reflexology Schools; Alternative Healthcare; Insightful Literature and so much more!